Whatever is the establishment, whether it is a restaurant, bar or a hotel, is made of bricks or Wood this gives the customer an initial impression of what your establishment is like. But it happens too often that staff are rude, pretentious or simply not up to the task at hand. Needless to say; you won’t return!
The biggest reason for customers not returning to an establishment is due to a staff member’s attitude or indifference.
There are several guidelines to be adhered to when working in the hospitality industry. It requires talented individuals who need to be:
• Customer focused
Here a few pointers which you can share with your staff so they know what is expected from them, whether they are working in a cafe, a bar, a Michelin starred restaurant or the local greasy food stall.
1. Always give a warm greeting with a smile
2. Listen to the customer request. If you do not hear them correctly then don’t be afraid to ask them to repeat their order so as you get it correct.
3. Anticipate the guests needs by offering before being asked, “would you like another drink”, “would you like some extra sauce”, “would you like water with your meal”
4. If a customer says “Thank you”, respond and say “you’re welcome”
5. Any staff member who receives a complaint “owns” that complaint. They are then responsible for ensuring customer satisfaction. Gone are the days of saying “this is not my section” or “yeah, I’ll be with you in a minute”.
6. Communicate guest’s problems with your fellow employees and management.
7. Always remember the importance of teamwork.
8. Take responsibility for your own behaviour.
9. When things go wrong, look on the positive side. Do not be afraid to make a mistake as long as your efforts are sincerely intended to do your job a better way.
10. A pleasant farewell and saying “Thank you, see you soon” is just as important as the initial welcome.
Repeat, Repeat, Repeat!